Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Coming of A New Pentecost


During the last session of our retreat, we were asked the question, “What am I taking away from my experience of the Pilgrimage for Change on the Island of Iona?”

After meditating on this question, I realized that the teachings of John Philip and Ali Newell have given me a clearer language to speak about the ongoing spiritual transformations I have had ever since I had a moment of awakening on a cold winter morning in Sedona, Arizona in January 2005. My mother and I were on a Pink Jeep Tour, where we visited beautiful rock formations and admired the many majestic views of Sedona's National Park. When I was resting with my back up against a tree, I felt something akin to an electrical current going through my body. For a split second, I was not part of this world, but had a glimpse into something much greater than this world. Naturally, this experience shocked me and scared me, but at the same time brought a feeling of great peace and deep love.

Before this experience, I was at an all time spiritual low: both of my parents were dying, I was becoming a workaholic, and I was struggling with being an openly gay priest in the Diocese of Louisiana. In short, I was not taking care of myself, resulting in my losing a spiritual center. But that moment of energy was a starting point of God's magnificent grace working a new thing in me, which I've only come to piece together in the past few weeks. Since that experience in Sedona, I have grown in my knowledge and belief of God’s healing presence in nature. I believe that tree which provided me rest was part of a strong, spiritual vortex that helped me to connect with the creative, life-giving energy of the universe (God). Since then, I have been able to stretch my mind and deepen my faith in Christ by engaging with the living presence of God in healing prayers, in further exploration about our theology of the sacraments, in some reflective work around quantum physics, and in pushing myself to see the living Christ in others and to be the living Christ for others. In due time, I would like to write about all of this in a book. But for now, I can tell you the time in Iona has allowed me to see these abstract pieces of my life as part of a seamless whole, to begin articulating these thoughts in a cohesive way, and to connect with others and talk about these experiences using Celtic spirituality as a guide and inspiration.

In Iona, we began to explore the notion that a new Pentecost is coming to the Church--a new working of the Spirit for justice, wholeness, unity, healing, hope, and holiness. I feel called to be a part of God's new work. This week in Iona has given to me:
  • A renewed sense of my vocation as a priest in the Church.
  • The empowerment to be a leader and teacher of a vision for this new Pentecost in the Church where we will focus on our unity and what brings us together instead of what divides us. I look forward to speaking more for unity as a matter of justice rather than just for the sake of unity.
  • A commitment to use my new voice in order to speak the truth in love to the world and church about the deep need for peace, where all are invited to graceful engagement in what unites us as people of faith and of God’s creation.
  • A greater appreciation for the beauty of the earth/world, especially around the San Francisco Bay Area, and a yearning to spend more time connecting with that beauty every week in new and exciting ways as part of my weekly devotions.
  • A greater love, admiration, and appreciation for the work we are doing together at St. Aidan’s.

As I board my plane to make my way back to San Francisco, know you are in my hearts and prayers. Thank you for this profound, wonderful opportunity. I eagerly await the opportunity to be with you all again!

No comments:

Post a Comment