Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Connecting with St. Francis and Angels at the Portiuncula


The Portiuncula is one of the rare Holy Places in the world and you can feel its energy as one approaches it. The Portiuncula is where St. Francis founded the Franciscan Order of the Friars Minor in 1209.

This is the place where Francis knew first hand the experience of being sustained by the Angels. Likewise, his intimate devotion to Blessed Mary, under whose protection he placed himself to do God's work, did this place become holy for the members of the Franciscan family and for the Church universal. As a place of pilgrimage, the holy Portiuncula is a poignant reminder of how important the encounter with Christ was for Saint Francis and how much the encounter ought to be pivotal for us today. Without meeting Christ, little makes sense. Saint Bonaventure had this to say about this devotion:

The Portiuncula was an old church dedicated to the Virgin Mother of God which was abandoned. Francis had great devotion to the Queen of the World and when he saw that the church was deserted, he began to live there constantly in order to repair it. He heard that the Angels often visited it, so that it was called Saint Mary of the Angels, and he decided to stay there permanently out of reverence for the angels and love for the Mother of Christ. This is also the place where St Clare took her vows and where Saint Francis died.

Before entering this holy shrine inside the larger church I sat in prayer. During my reflection, the song “Peace Before Me” began to circulate in my head. I cherished this private moment before entering the tiny chapel, embracing the feeling of peace which permeates Assisi. The chapel was filled with 12-15 people as a Franciscan monk offered a special blessing over a young boy. Then we all started to pray--I could tell everyone was saying the Lord’s Prayer and the Hail Mary. I was able to join in the prayers not knowing that this was a way to receive the special indulgence offered in this chapel. I then prayed as I walked counter clockwise touching the stones of the chapel. I could feel the centuries of prayers being offered here and a clear sense of peace and comfort fell over me. The angels, many who are from my family, were there to lead me in this holy walk. I kissed the stone church and departed feeling touched by the Holy. I have not yet visited the replica of the chapel in San Francisco but I will visit it often when I return home to remind me of my encounter of the communion of saints.

Peace before us,
peace behind us,
peace under our feet

Peace within us,
peace over us,
let all around us be peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment